Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Utah Bubble/Utah Culture: Politics is Religion is Personal is Politics

The question at the heart of this is simple enough: are there concerns about teaching composition that are region-specific? Culture? Student demographics? Local and state-level politics? Curricular issues? If so, can we make a place here to discuss them?

Shortly before I left Oklahoma for Utah, I decided to use Signs of Life in the U. S. A. as my reader for composition II. It’s a popular culture reader—and a very good one, at that—and I imagined that the students would find it accessible.

What I found, however, was that many of the students had no frame of reference whatsoever for many of the essays in the book. They didn’t watch The Simpsons. They didn’t watch Sex and the City. They didn’t watch Friends. They didn’t watch television much at all, frankly. The majority had never seen an R-rated movie, which meant that many of the films referenced in the text might as well have been Bulgarian cinema for them.

This is not to say that the book was a flop. It wasn’t. In fact, I think the students liked it quite a lot. But the added pressure upon me to contextualize what I had previously assumed would be bits of universal knowledge (Ross and Rachel; Bart and Lisa) left me sometimes wondering where on earth I had landed.

My students referred to this as the “Utah Bubble.” As I taught the readings in the textbook, I found myself sometimes wondering whether these things that I believed would be interesting were, in fact, an assault upon some of the students’ beliefs, politics and sensibilities. I mean, considering I could teach this course in any number of ways, was it imperative that I use these texts? Could I find something more accessible for them? Less potentially offensive?

I am, of course, accustomed to being warned about teaching in a conservative community. I am originally from Mississippi and I lived for 8 years in Oklahoma. I know my red state values. But there is a difference, I think, in teaching a film like Pulp Fiction to a group of students of whom one or two might object and teaching that same film to a student demographic such as ours, where 40-60% of the class might object. Can we force them to watch such things? Ought we?

One of the essays in Signs of Life, Tad Friend’s “You Can’t Say That,” is concerned with television networks’ standards and practices in the wake of cable television creating award-winning original programming. One of the key questions, Friend explains, is that when a show on HBO can do whatever it wants with regard to sex and language, how is a show such as The West Wing to compete?

It’s a wonderful essay, even if the students had never seen any of the shows it discusses.

The problem, I found, was with the language. I had warned the students for a week or so prior to the reading being due that the essay used what they would consider “foul language,” but that it was always in context and was never, ever used gratuitously. I asked students to come to me if they had significant problems with this, but encouraged them to trust me in the matter. Could I have put my foot down? It wasn’t as if I were forcing them to read Fanny Hill, after all. The recent lawsuit at the U of U, however, changes this. Forcing a student to read a text to which they are opposed, or punishing them for not taking part in something to which they are opposed, could result in a lawsuit which the university would most likely lose.

And so I’m back to that question: do I have to teach this particular text? Couldn’t I use another text and accomplish the same goal? In a place where politics and religion and personal conviction are so closely intertwined, should I be more concerned than usual about what I choose to teach? Is the conviction that “this is an idea you ought to be exposed to” enough to justify potential offense? Is the conviction that “the Utah bubble needs to be burst” justifiable? Is that enough?

12 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Blogger Sharon Gerald said...

Great way to get the ball rolling on regional discussions. For a comp reader, I wouldn't go against the grain of the immediate culture. As you say, there are a lot of other ways to get the job done. I can see students protesting things like The Inferno or Hedda Gabler in a lit class, though. That would give me problems.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Scott Rogers said...

Rosa: My primary concern is really about what we're in the business of doing in all of this. Are we in the business of shaping the subjectivity of our students by exposing them to the kinds of ideas we want, or are we in the business of teaching them how to write well? Are these mutually exclusive? Are we cramming our politics and values down the students' throats? Is that ethical? Do we have to be objective? Do we have to be sensitive to local values?

The secondary issue here in Utah is that last year, the University of Utah lost a lawsuit brought by a student who was penalized for refusing to speak profanity in a theater class. This has pretty sever implications, you can imagine.

And yes, I'd love to cross-post this. Or you can link it from there. Either way is fine with me. Email me at srogers at weber dot edu if you want to add me to that blog.

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Sharon Gerald said...

You have to pick your battles. Once you've alienated the students, you've lost your chance to teach them. And if you are using up all of your energy defending textbook decisions, you won't be doing the best job you can in the classroom.

I'll have more to say on this later as well.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Nick Carbone said...

I think it comes down to two questions:

1. What do you want students to learn?

2. What will help you to to accomplish your teaching goals?

These are the questions you're asking, but what you're describing is that the answer to the second one is very much shaped by the cultural context, in this case "the Utah bubble."

It heartens me that your students named the bubble; they seemed, from that description, to be open to a peak now and again of things outside the bubble.

I do think if I were teaching, I wouldn't insist on a book that meant great resistance, that was perceived as patently and irredeemably offensive. But if I had a book that was working, albeit differently than in the past, and which might be mildly offensive to some students, then I'd stay with it.

Other factors:

A. There was a lawsuit at U. of Utah, but what was the result?

B. Did in fact any of your students complain in this case? Did they come see you to voice concerns?

C. Would they watch "Saving Private Ryan" uncensored for language?

D. Did the book in this case prevent some students from learning?

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Scott Rogers said...

Nick:

Good questions. I'll try to respond fully:


I think it comes down to two questions:

1. What do you want students to learn?

2. What will help you to to accomplish your teaching goals?

These are the questions you're asking, but what you're describing is that the answer to the second one is very much shaped by the cultural context, in this case "the Utah bubble."


Yes. This has all been rather fresh in my mind lately because I'm in the middle of a rather intense meditation on the nature of Freshman Comp One. My goals are, in the end, pretty modest. I want my students to be able to read, understand, and comment intelligently on what they might consider "elevated" diction...say, an article from The New Yorker or Harper's. I want them to use texts in combination to make arguments. In the end, I'm a bit of an oddity here, since I'm not all that interested in what Sharon Crowley calls "the shaping of subjectivity." I don't think it's my place to cram my politics or worldview down their throats, which, indeed, I suspect that that is why so many students hate freshman composition. I want them to write in an articulate fashion and to compose essays that reflect the level of thought that went into them. This could be a manifesto. I'll stop here.

It heartens me that your students named the bubble; they seemed, from that description, to be open to a speak now and again of things outside the bubble.

Yes. The bubble is difficult to describe, but I think this example might give you a sense of what I'm talking about: there is a blossoming LDS film industry here (see Napoleon Dynamite) and the films are shown in theaters alongside the major motion picture ventures. But nowhere else in the country. And so students simply do not understand that The Work and the Glory was only shown in Utah.

I do think if I were teaching, I wouldn't insist on a book that meant great resistance, that was perceived as patently and irredeemably offensive. But if I had a book that was working, albeit differently than in the past, and which might be mildly offensive to some students, then I'd stay with it.

The other thing is that I'm not LDS. If I were, they wouldn't be able to play the "He's opposed to my values" card with any success. I have an LDS friend at the other end of the state who just taught Lolita and was able to deflect any problems by simple virtue of his being a member of the church.

A. There was a lawsuit at U. of Utah, but what was the result?

A student in the theater department at the U of U refused to utter certain (swear) words in a class during a reading and was apparently penalized. She sued the U for violating her religious freedom. She won, and so now every University in the state is scrambling to figure out what to do.

B. Did in fact any of your students complain in this case? Did they come see you to voice concerns?

To my knowledge, none of my students have complained about my choice of texts, although I tend to bend over backwards to be sensitive about their religious leanings in ways that I do not with, for instance, Baptists. I do not know why this is.

C. Would they watch "Saving Private Ryan" uncensored for language?

Not only that, but they could rent it at CleanFlix.

D. Did the book in this case prevent some students from learning?

No, not at all.

At the heart of all this, for me, is that I tend to see all of this as political in nature, but then I tend to see everything as political in nature. And so when a student expresses an unwillingness to watch a film or read a text, I see that as a political statement, not a religious one.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Sharon Gerald said...

I don't believe it is our job to be social architects. I think we should show them what is out there to think about but not tell them what to think.

Also, there are many things for them to think about. I don't think it's any loss if they never get around to The Simpsons.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Sharon Gerald said...

I don't think the issue is about choosing things that won't offend anyone so much as it is having a sound academic reason for making choices we know will offend a large percentage of the students. And in Scott's case, I don't even think the issue is so much about offense as it is about a lack of cultural context. If the students don't watch TV or listen to the radio, how can they relate to a pop culture reader? Then the question becomes how important is pop culture to what you are trying to teach?

My students have no cultural context for understanding the Greek classics. But I work at providing a context so that they can read and understand the literature book.

Is it really worth going to the same lengths to have them read essays about Friends and The Cosby Show?

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Scott Rogers said...

Sharon: Bingo.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Scott Rogers said...

John—I was responding to this statement of Sharon's:

"If the students don't watch TV or listen to the radio, how can they relate to a pop culture reader? Then the question becomes how important is pop culture to what you are trying to teach?"

What happens, then, if we broaden this idea out? Lots of people teach hot-button political issues or use readers designed to work in this way. In an area where politics is religion is personal, this runs the risk of causing more problems than it might solve, I think.

More on this later...I'm prepping to teach DG Rossetti tomorrow morning.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Sharon Gerald said...

It seems the biggest thing we've learned from this discussion is that the experiences of people who teach in more diverse populations are very different from the experiences of people who teach in more isolated populations. This leads to different attitudes and different decisions. I think this is worth exploring further.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that contemporary texts are not worth as much effort as classic texts. I'll elaborate on that when I have a little more time.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Jill Talbot said...

I've been extremely slow in joining this cogent discussion. I, too, used (and continue to use) Signs of Life in the USA. Listen to how brave I was my first semester. I showed an edited episode of Sex and the City during class in order to discuss a prompt from the text about postfeminism. I had a female student covering her eyes and ears, although I felt that she was doing that for show. "Look at me! Look at me!" I had one student drop because she "didn't watch television." You know, one of those anti-establishment folk who have the bumper sticker "Kill Your Television" on their 1979 Ford truck? I want to know how "I don't watch television" has become a statement in our contemporary culture--Utah and beyond.
I now use the text every semester for my Online Comp II course, and every semester, I receive at least one e-mail voicing concerns about the television unit (reading essays and producing an essay). If the course title reads: Writing about Popular Culture, it seems to me that students would be aware of the course content, but then again, it also speaks to a lack of awareness of what PC is? Here is the course blurb:

This section of English 2010 will focus on semiotics and popular culture. In other words, we will learn to read the signs (discover meaning, recognize patterns, anaylze messages) of films, televison programs, and icons in American culture. How are women portrayed in prime time televison? Why did Arnold and Maria appear on Oprah? Is The Western still a major Hollywood genre in the 21st century? How has Ozzy Osbourne been signified and re-signified in our culture? These are some of the questions you may ask or be asked in this course. The articles we read will serve as the foundation of the course; you will write responses for each article, and you will incorporate those articles into your own essays. This course is designed to allow you to think critically and write clearly about the representationss of culture, media, and yourself.

***
All of this said--I work very hard not to reduce the PC for the MC, the Mormon Culture. We are very clear in our course catalog and our course descriptions of our theme-based comp. courses here at SUU. I do not think that I should censor my course materials in favor of the majority. I'm not working to find the dirtiest, raciest texts that I can find. And I also find that the most scintillating material always fosters more discussion--even if that discussion is dissent or disgust.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jocalo-
I am a student at Dixie State University in Saint George Utah and I am currently writing a piece on the negative effects that being raised in the "utah bubble" can have on a child. You had mentioned a professor of philosophy who gave a lecture on this same topic and i am very interested in finding this lecture. It would be much appreciated if you could tell me the name of this professor and/or where i could find his lecture. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home