Sunday, April 10, 2005

In Lieu...

In lieu of a longer post I'm writing about dialect and region and general habits of writing and speech (e.g. in Utah, people say "Oh my heck!"), I'll just ask a simple question:

Is it just my imagination, or is there a nationwide problem with students and prepositions? Some of my students seem to use some kind of "random preposition generator" device to decide which ones to use in their essays.

I'll do my best to get the other post up before I head to Lafayette for another conference.

2 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, Blogger Sharon Gerald said...

My students also use the random verb generator.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Jill Talbot said...

What is the random verb generator look like, sound like? I find that composition foibles are less regionally generated as they are from the result of a pandemic better known as lack of reading. If they don't read, they write phonetically, such as "French beneftis" and "for all intensive purposes." I'd like to add the ruination of the credible source thanks to Google. Either Google is a source or that rascal anonymous reader at amazon.com is now the voice of contemporary literary criticism.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home